Turning your book into an audiobook

I have a co-worker who does audio for books in his off-hours. When he found out about my book, Playing At Love, he offered these tips on how to turn a book into an audiobook:

  • The Audiobook Creation Exchange www.acx.com is a free-to-use platform connected with Amazon & Audible.
  •  Narrators and Title Rights Holders (authors or publishing companies) can create a profile and post or look for projects. In your case, you’d put your title up for auditions and specify what you’re looking for from the narrator (female and/or male voice, accent (if any), style, and so on).
  • You can offer to ‘buy out’ the project by paying the narrator directly once the project is completed, or do a Royalty Share where you and they split 40% of each sale (Audible keeps the other 60% for hosting/sales/distribution).
  • As auditions come in, you listen to them and once you decide on the one you like, you can extend an offer to them to produce the book. They may (or may not) accept the offer based on the terms you specify (timeline for completion, payment option, etc).
  • As a Rights Holder, you can be as involved or hands off in the process as you like, having the option to listen to and review each chapter as they are uploaded by the narrator, providing feedback or requesting changes as you go along. Some Authors I’ve worked with have been very hands on, others haven’t said so much as a word before hitting the final ‘approved’ button at the end of the process.

I'm not quite at the point where I want to go down the road toward audiobook recording, but I thought it might be helpful to share this information.